- Category: Alternative Treks
Best in Travel 2017 (Lonely Planet). Choquequirao Trek to machu picchu 8 days - Brilliant Inca Trail Alternative Route. Choquequirao or Choquekiraw means "Cradle of Gold" in Quechua Inca´s language, although this is probably not its original name. It is another "Lost City of the Incas" rediscovered officially late in 20th century located high on a ridge spur almost 1750 mts above the raging glacier-fed
Apurimac River and surrounded by towering Salkantay and Humantay snow-capped peaks. Choquequirao was build during the last days of the Inca empire in the government of the Inca Pachacutec 1490, by Tupac Inca Yapanqui, and probably after the Spanish invasion in 1532. Almost 40 years the Inca's held stand against the spanish conquerors (between 1536 - 1572). The construction of the different levels of temples, palaces, canals and aqueducts is really fantastic. "Choquequirao is the city which demonstrates the inspiring example of an elite Inca ceremonial center. A city dedicated to worship the “Pachamama” the andean mother earth “the Apus” mountain gods and divinities, the river and the elements of nature." Choquequirao finally burned down and left deserted. This happened probably after the execution of the last Inca, Tupac Amaru I in 1572.
Discover the you you never knew...
Discover yourself in Peru
ALL DEPARTURES 100% GUARANTEED - IF YOU'RE BOOKED, YOU'RE GOING
BRIEFING: The day before the trek, you will meet with your guide and meet all the members of your expedition group. Your guide will explain to you about the trek, route, and all the necessary recommendations will be provided to you according to the trekking season you choose. This briefing will take approximately 40 minutes, where you will receive your duffel bags that will be carried by the porters along the trail.
Choquequirao is another example of how incredible the Incas were at using their resources to thrive in an unforgiving landscape. Choquequirao was once used by the Incas to perform rituals to honor the mountains and agriculture. At the risk of sounding like a pushy cars salesman, the opportunity to explore Choquequirao with fewer than 50 people there will not last forever!
During this trek you will not only see Choquequirao, we will also hike to and explore Machu Picchu.
DURATION: 8 Days, 7 Nights
TYPE: Trek with camping (tents provided)
DIFFICULTY (1 - 5): 5, Multiple days of hiking. Includes several severe inclines and declines. Experienced hikers only.
- Choquequirao was voted as Best in Travel 2017 (Lonely Planet) #1 destination in Peru for 2017!
- Experience charming Quechua farming villages high in the mountains
- Have the Andes all to yourself!
- Enjoy our premier camping accommodations and local cuisine
- Trekking on the hidden Inca Trail, to reach Choquequirao and Machu Picchu
- Enjoy an entire day at Choquequirao - sunrise , sunset
- All of our treks are led by experienced guides, who are fluent in English
- Full day tour explore of Machu Picchu, starting with a sunrise entry (hours before the crowds arrive)
- This trek is not for beginners, Challenging trek, good physical condition required